Saturday, October 3, 2015

pompatus

pompatus
One who is pompous.

Etymology

First used in the lyrics of Steve Miller's 1973 rock song The Joker.

Some people call me the space cowboy.
Yeah! Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me Maurice,
'Cause I speak of the pompatus of love.
The phrases "space cowboy", "gangster of love" and "Maurice" are all references to previous Miller songs. The "pompatus" line is also a reference to an earlier song of his, "Enter Maurice", which was recorded the previous year:
My dearest darling, come closer to Maurice
so I can whisper sweet words of epismetology
in your ear and speak to you of the pompatus of love.

No comments:

Nine holes

  Nine holes is a two-player abstract strategy game from different parts of the world and is centuries old. It was very popular in Englan...